Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 12 - Day 10+11 SCOTLAND


Mind your head, please!


Please board the aircraft...and train...and bus to:



SCOTLAND

















When we arrived in Scotland, we went straight to our hotel and right across was a    great place for lunch, The Baby Grand.


TripAdvisors #1 attraction to see in Glasgow was the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. That was our first stop. Hey, it was free too!




I am short :(


Does this museum make any sense to you??
We figured out why it was free....
Hint: TripAdvisor got it WRONG.




Even the King was there!


We also visited the University of Glasgow
 
Sometimes, there are no words.






We had planned to eat at The Bothy, known for their kilted wait staff. Becca was REALLY excited for kilt-watching, so we had to find it of course!
I wasn't too sure if they could serve in kilts. 
I mean, is that even sanitary?
I was curious enough.

The place usually is booked full, and you have to make a reservation, but God has a sense of humor and I know he wanted us to see men serve meals in kilts. So there was a cancellation, but we would have to wait about 2 hours.

We decided to wait in Starbuck to do some travel planning and enjoy conversation as we waited for our reservation.
I was serious about that Gingerbread Latte from my early post.
Try it.

2 Hours Later





Down a very small alley-way (you could walk right past it in a blink of an eye) was The Bothy sign. 


Turn the corner and voila! 


A beautiful dinner awaits us.

(Technically, we had just awaited it for about 2 hours. Still... it was so worth it.)
I ordered traditional Scottish food: haggis, neeps, and tatties.
Yeah, I didn't know those were, either.

Traditional haggis is sheep heart, liver, and lung mixed with spices, onion, oatmeal and simmered in the animal's stomach.
No, thank you.


I ordered the vegetarian haggis, which was made of lentils and did not even touch anybody's stomach except mine.
Neeps are yellow turnips, and tatties are mashed potatoes.



Crackers, fruit, Scottish cheese, and wine for dessert.


My waiter. With a kilt!!


We decided to roam the night in the streets of Glasgow. So pretty! They are known for their nightlife and call themselves "second to London."






This is more sleepy Melissa's party!

The next mornin' we took a bit of a ride on the ScotRail to 
the city of Edinburgh around 8am.





I instantly fell in love with this traditional Scottish city.
There was gorgeous architecture everywhere (like the buildings below) as soon as we got off the train.












Off to see the

Edinburgh Castle!


The Edinburgh Castle is BEAUTIFUL.



The history of the Scots was really well done at the castle's museum.
Almost said "Sorry, sir!" when I bumped into this!


Scotland's royal line. I'm in there, somewhere...




 St. Margaret's Church (at the top of the castle)- she helped reform and improve education in Scotland


Mons Meg















We stopped here for lunch.


Visited the kilt mill...


and went back in time!



We danced a Scottish jig.

We fought for victory for Scotland.










Went back out to the 21st Century (and some regular clothes) to shop the streets of Edinburgh.

While we enjoyed the beautiful morning up in Edinburgh, it had been raining in Glasgow!

We decided to head up the damp streets to see the Glasgow Cathedral, also known as St. Mungo's Cathedral.



"The first stone built Glasgow Cathedral was dedicated

 in the presence of King David I in 1136. The present

 building was consecrated in 1197. Since that same

 period the Cathedral has never been unroofed and the

 worship of God has been carried out within its walls for

 more than 800 years."

 
"The Creation" stained-glass window 
                               by Francis Pearce.



An 1801 British war-torn flag protected by the Cathedral.
















We ended our time in Scotland at the Bunker, an underground pub that the locals directed us to. It was modern and quiet (since it was early), but you could see why it was so popular. 




It had couches, a major brownie point from us!


Or should I say, a haggis-neeps-and-tatties point?

Hope you enjoyed a wee bit of Scotland 
as much as we did!


No comments:

Post a Comment